Five Roughriders Earn All-Region Soccer Honors
Five Yavapai College soccer players were named to the 2017 NJCAA All-Region Team. Freshmen midfielder Jose Perez Flores (McMinnville, Oregon), sophomore defender Ricardo Nunez-Arellano (North Las Vegas, Nevada) and sophomore midfielder Johnny Ramirez (Tucson, Arizona) were selected to the first team. Freshmen forward William Baynham (Kangaroo Point, Australia) and sophomore midfielder John Scearce (Phoenix, Arizona) were named to the second team. Including the five players receiving today’s honor, the Roughrider soccer program now has 138 All-Region players in their 29-year history.
Individual highlights for this year’s recipients:
• Jose Perez Flores (co-captain with 16 goals, 14 assists, 46 points from the midfield position)
• Ricardo Nunez-Arellano (2 goals, 3 assists; anchored defense recording 10 shutouts)
• Johnny Ramirez (co-captain; started 41 matches in two seasons at Yavapai)
• William Baynham (22 goals, 15 assists; led region in points with 59)
• John Scearce (6 goals, 13 assists; career 29 assists–currently third all-time at Yavapai)
Yavapai College captured their 27th conference title (co-champions with Pima Community College with identical 15-2-3 league records) in 2017. The Roughriders overall regular season record was 17-2-3, scoring 115 goals with 21 against. With 108 goals coming in league play, an all-time conference record was established.
Post-season play begins for the Roughriders on Wednesday at Ken Lindley Field. Kickoff time is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. against the winner of Monday’s Glendale CC-Phoenix College match.