Hall of Fame head coach Mike Pantalione becomes quickest coach to reach 400 victories in NJCAA DI soccer history
In just it’s 19th year, the Yavapai College soccer program has won it’s 400th game with a 2-0 victory over Chandler-Gilbert CC on Saturday night (see preceding story). Yavapai’s only head soccer coach, Mike Pantalione, becomes the second coach in NJCAA Division One soccer history with 400 wins.
Legendary Hall of Fame Coach, Pete Sorber, spent 30 years on the St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley sidelines with a overall record of 415-85-23.
Pantalione’s 19-year overall record is 400-28-13. He currently has the best winning percentage (.922) of any collegiate men’s soccer coach, two year or four-year school, in history.
Gus Donoghue from the University of San Francisco (1946-1960) is second with a .871 winning percentage. Pantalione is also the top JUCO coach all-time at 372 games above five hundred (.500). Here’s another perspective:
- 1st win—-Sept 1, 1989 defeated St. Louis-Forest Park 4-3
- 100th win—-Oct 23, 1993 defeated Pima CC 10-0
- 200th win—-Sept 16, 1998 defeated Phoenix 4-3
- 300th win—-Nov 22, 2002 defeated Iowa Central 3-0
- 21.8 Average number of wins per season
- 20.0 Maximum number of regular season games allowed
- 372 Number of games over .500
- 2025 Year YC would be at .500 if lost every game